I have been thinking about developing a robot lawnmower that is actually a “robot” a while now. What I mean by this, is that it can make its own decisions in relation to the environment and conditions. Why I think this is fun project is because I have encountered a lot of problems with the existing robot lawn mowers, they are simply not smart enough.
So which would be the optimal features I’m looking for?
- No perimeter wire.
- Different driving styles (diagonal cut, pattern cut etc..)
- 3D mapping. Creates a 3D map of the the garden.
- Know exactly where the robot is in the garden.
- Automatic raising of mower blades if they moves too Heavy (if to low height is set.)
- Using a camera to recognize grasses and colors.
So with this wish list I came up with the following hardware specs.
- Jetson TX2 Development Kit
- Scanse Sweep
- Intel® RealSense™ Camera ZR300
- 2x DC Planetary Geared Motor 24 Volt med Hall IC 30-33 RPM 8mm
- 2x Vapex Li-Po Battery 6S 22.2V 4000mAh 25C XT60
- SparkFun 9DoF
- RoboClaw 2x45A ST
- Emlid Reach — RTK GNSS modules
- (Mower motors for the blades I have not decided yet.)
Next up: Concept of chassis for hardware.